Related: Elements, Layout Editor, Publish Editor
We added a PSD hints support starting from Divine Elemente. It will help to simplify and fasten the process of template’s creation and CMS theme’s preparation greatly.
PSD hints, the named special hint group or layers in PSD, are used for automatic defining of elements what speeds the publish process in some cases in 30 times!
Use of PSD hints in a PSD template is an optional possibility. You should not bring the structure of a PSD template to the set kind. Elements can always be assigned in the Publish Editor one-by-one:
Choose the right method for you: Comparison of two approaches for elements assignment.
Publishing speed: Comparison of automatic and manual approaches for elements assignment.
A hints list for all elements can be found in the “Element’s hints list“.
PSD Hints limitations:
- Elements assignment shouldn’t break the frame boundaries of a grid block in order to publish them!
- Limitations on Adobe Photoshop folders’ nesting (for CS – CS4 – no more than 5; for CS5 – more than 5).
- Auto setting of groups is working starting from Adobe Photoshop CS and higher.
- There are no groups in Photoshop Elements, PSD hints are limited by layers.
- Boundaries of a paragraph text shouldn’t break frames of a grid block.
More details on what theme elements are, what types they have and what they are used for can be found in the ‘Elements‘ guide.
Rules of PSD hints use1. Use groups’ names for PSD hints.
In other words, each element gets a Photoshop group with an appropriate PSD hint name, detailed in the Element’s hints list.
2. Nested groups for an appropriate element state are taken into account.
It will help to define the element states like normal, hover, visited, click.
Rules of PSD hints use. Work with groups.
3. Layers are not taken into account for auto setting (so you may name them as you wish).
Only group’s name is used for auto setting.
4. Only the top text layer is to be chosen as an element’s text.
In case an element consists of several different text layers, only the top text layer is to be selected as an element’s text. The rest layers in the group merge into one image.
Rules of PSD hints use. Work with text layers.
5. An element will not be defined in the Publish Editor, if any of its layers breaks boundaries of an appropriate grid block.
Rules of PSD hints use. Crossing of a grid block’s boundary.
Hint: If you create a new PSD template from the Layout Editor, the order of layers and their groups will be created automatically in accordance with the structure and added elements in the Layout Editor.
More details on the list of PSD hints with elements description can be found in the Element’s hints list
PSD hints use: where and howIt’s just an optional possibility as it was said before. This functionality was developed for those who like or need to change theme’s design very often. Mainly, such people are designers, web developers or fastidious bloggers.
In case you use a template for theme creation only, without applying any changes later, you’d better assign elements in the Publish Editor. It’ll be much easier and faster.